Wednesday 21 November 2012

Head torches

Petzl Tikkina XP 2. My headtorch. Pick it up for between £35-£50.



Whenever anyone asks me what they should someone for a present, be that person a child or an adult, the first thing I always say is: a head torch.

They are fab. Admittedly if you live in a city, and are an adult, you probably don't fully understand the need for them; but if you're a child they can be used in tents, hidey holes, under bed clothes etc. And if you're an adult and you live in the country they are, I think, essential for getting firewood, putting the bins out, getting to your car (this will sound crazy to those with street lighting...). I also use mine when cycling or running.

The one I have is, of course, top of the range with a price tag to match: the Petzl Tikka XP 2 (but I have just the head torch, not the charger etc). Mine has three different white light permutations (bright, economy, flashing) and it can also go to a red light (which preserves night vision) in constant or flashing. It tilts (a really useful facility so you can look at things on the ground or straight ahead) and is very bright. Most normal people don't need this but as I also use mine for the aforementioned cycling and running, it's pretty imports for me. Mine costs between £35-£50 (do a search on Google they're not difficult to find), but although it's top of that range, there are others that go up to £200, but really for people climbing Everest..

Petzl Tikkina 2, for about £15.

Otherwise the Petzl Tikkina 2 is the one to get. It has two white light modes (strong or economy) and tilts and is really everything you'd need. You can pick them up for about £15 and they're - Petzl's -vastly superior to any other head torch I've tried. Also comes in pink, blue, green, gold.

2 comments:

Joanna @ Zeb Bakes said...

We have Puplights for the dogs, and Neklights (same light different fitting) for us for handsfree dog walking in the dark. I don't like wearing torches on my head. I got them a few years ago and Ithey are quite adaptable, tough, good light etc etc. Not sure who distributes them in the UK. I think I ordered mine from the US. But my Dad used to have a head torch for powercut days.

Annalisa Barbieri said...

Oooh Joanna. Never heard of those, thanks for posting. I just think that head torches are brilliant instead of normal torches. I like to have both hands free. Although my 5-cell police man's torch does make me feel pretty invincible.