Tuesday 3 April 2012

Sun-San Sandals

Navy Salt Water Originals


Really, for quite a long time now, I've been looking for "Jesus sandals" that were popular in my youth. I couldn't think of a more perfect sandal for a small child.

But they were nowhere to be seen. The closest I ever got were Birkenstocks, but, in truth, I was tiring of the overly large foot print.

Then, quite by chance, @sunsansandals started following me (@AnnalisaB) on Twitter and there they were. My perfect child-hood sandals: Sun-San. Which I hadn't imagined at all. (And the style I remembered is called Surfer, shown in red below.)

They were American, but date back to the 1940's. They came to the UK last year and they've become, I hate to say this, the sandal du jour for children. I don't mind this since they are

a) incredibly practical - they can withstand salt water and can be washed in the washing machine
b) sensible - I'm not a Lilli Kelli kinda mum
c) gorgeous looking in that understated way - I'm not insane
d) proper sandals, therefore not cheap (average price: £34) but comparable with StartRite or Birkenstocks.

(Otherwise I just hate following trends, I am so contrary.)

Although I wanted to get both my children a pair - how cute would a three year old look in the Surfer style in red or tan? - in reality the youngest has some already that are perfectly okay and I can't justify spending £70 on two pairs of sandals.

But I did want to get my eldest some, since she needed something for the summer anyway (and Birkies, what she usually wears, cost the same). Today we found ourselves in Liberty with her Godmother who, so so kindly, bought her a pair. We got the Saltwater Original, which weren't the actual Jesus sandal I had planned on getting for her. But I left it between my daughter and her Godmother. Some transactions a mother shouldn't interfere with.


Side view, you can just see the fringes of my mother's incredibly ornate carpet

You can find stockists here. Although I'd personally advise trying them on in person first if possible: we tried them on in white first and they were huge, same size in navy fitted perfectly; otherwise pretty true to size I'd say. They range in price from £34-£40 and come in six designs/twelve colours, sizes 0-adult 3.

Apparently they are way cheaper in the States so if you know someone who lives there or are going there, that may be a way to save some pennies!

Update: I couldn't resist and bought my youngest a pair too. I don't regret it, they are gorgeous and make me happy every time I see them.

I love these sandals so much I want to eat them.
An update in late August 2012. Well Sun San has now launched its own online shop, which should help with the stock situation. I relented and bought myself a pair, in silver (£55 which included p&p). Me and my girls have worn almost nothing else but our Sun San sandals all summer and I cannot tell you how brilliant I think these sandals are. We have gone in the sea with them, gone surfing wearing them, built sandcastles and they look like new.

Weirdly, also, considering I find really flat shoes hard to wear all day, my feet don't hurt (anymore than they would anyway walking all day) in these. I get asked about them all the time and my friend Wendy bought seven pairs (or thereabouts) the moment the shop went live.

You do need to buy them so they are slightly tight I think. I'm a true 37 which is a 4.5 UK and I was unsure whether to get a 5 or 6 in Sun San. When I first tried on the 5 they felt too tight - as in not wide enough (obviously the length has to be right, they don't get longer!) I also tried the 6 and they felt really comfy from the off. But instinct told me the 5 would stretch and they did. Plus once you get them wet - and I recommend you do - and they dry on you, they'll be no more rubby bits. I never once have had to wear any sort of plasters with these.

Is it clear how much I love them? And just so you're absolutely sure no-one is telling me to say this let me assure you that I have accepted no freebies or discounts in relation to these sandals *

The sandals after surfing

My sandals.

A family of Sun San sandals. Now we just need a men's version.


* Well, this is no longer true. The UK distributor gave me a pair for free as a thank you (she had tried to give me a free pair in the spring and I said no) and I'm afraid, this time, I said yes thank you. Because I'm greedy, and a little bit broke after all the shopping I've done. 











1 comment:

andrew josheph said...

There is looking a classic design of the sandals.it's look so fantastic and stylish.i don't get a perfect sandal for small kids ,but now i think get right from this post.

Startrite