Saturday 7 April 2012

Stylus pens for iPad and iPhone

Stylus pens for use with iPhone and iPad.  Incredibly, they work.


Years ago, when electronic organisers first started making an appearance, you could get stylus pens to write on said appliances with. I always thought they were a bit wankerish. I mean, if I want to write with a pen, I'll write with a pen.

I've got an iPhone and an iPad. My children regularly use the iPad (I don't let them near my iPhone). I'm really not one of those people freaked by the thought of children and technology; but then, I'm a total technophile. I know how to control my technology and I'm not afraid of screens, and my children use them as part of a very balanced life.

But then, I got sent some sort of iPad magazine recently and in it were various ads for iPad/iPhone pens (I'm sure they work on other tablets/smart screens, but I don't know, we're an Apple household). This piqued my interest, since I thought they'd be really good for some apps on the iPad and  my partner has got really bad tendonitis from using his iPhone. So I reappraised my thoughts on stylus pens.

(Just to really smother myself in smugness, let me tell you that I taught myself to use my left hand - not naturally my dominant hand - to use my mouse 'n' stuff some years ago when I got such bad RSI I couldn't turn the pages of a magazine. As I was a fashion editor at the time, not being able to turn the pages of a magazine was a really Big Bad Thing.)

Anyway I bought one that had good reviews from Amazon and weren't too expensive: some are really dear. The one I bought is the Universal Capacitive Stylus Pen and it cost £5.99 for two. I wouldn't really pay more than that: no need as you're bound to lose it. Plus it may stop working in a few weeks: I'll report back.

Thus far it's really good. Great if you suffer from fat finger syndrome on the iPhone, but really comes into its own on the iPad for some of the apps that involve writing and drawing. Much more intuitive than using a finger. I don't think I'd take it out with me but for around the house/on the iPad it really helps keep your hands in a more natural position that that swipe thing you have to do. Of course I'm NOT A DOCTOR and its use may lead to even worse injuries. But I trust the Daily Mail will keep us informed of those.

There is a lead that you plug into the headphone socket to keep it safe, but you have to unplug it to use it.




No comments: