Monday 2 July 2012

Dan Lepard's Almond Layer cake with crushed raspberries

All my own work.



This recipe was published in the Guardian last year. I made it on the day it came out, as you can probably see from the below the line comments (Dan linked to a picture of the cake that I tweeted, for I can no longer bake in isolation, but need to share with the world). Since then I've baked it many times. It's perfect for when you want a proper teatime cake with goo. And it's not difficult.

The recipe is here. There are a few comments I'd like to make:

I don't have 18cm cake tins so I use 8" ones (which is slightly bigger than 18cm, sorry to mix imperial and metric). It's fine.

I find 30 mins just a bit too much....so check after 25 mins.

I double up the syrup Dan uses to soak the sponges, as I find doing his amount isn't enough for my thirsty cakes.

You could easily, easily make two not-so-high-cakes out of these, by that I mean slice the cakes in half horizontally. That way you get more cream/raspberries to sponge ratio. Won't be so towering and impressive, but if you need more cakes.

Put more cream in the sandwich layer than you think you'll need. It squishes down.

Children also seem to love this. I find this is important when I just want to do one thing.

This is a really delicious cake. It's so much more than a Victoria sponge. It's so easy to make (make the cake bits ahead, assemble before you eat it) and is impressive. My friend Kate is so greedy for this cake, I can make her turn all sorts of tricks for it.


No comments: