Monday 18 July 2011

Revolutionary new treatment for verrucas!

Bet you're glad you discovered this blog. It's so full of useful, glamorous things. Don't worry. I'm sure I'll sneak a designer bag in next week.

Maybe.

In the meantime, something more useful. How to treat a verruca without spending very much money at all.

Despite growing up next to a swimming pool (and using it regularly) I have never had a verruca. But my eldest caught/grew/developed one a few months ago. Now for those that don't know, a verruca is simply a wart that grows inwards (because the weight of walking on your foot means it can't grow outwards), and those black bits you see are the blood vessels.

So we did the usual and bought Bazooka that Verruca and nothing really happened. Then another verruca grew and I started to worry that my child would become like one of those freaks that has a verruca farm on her feet (this happened to my cousin, she had about eighteen of them). So after a few months of painting on Bazooka and nothing happening I texted my friend Mary, who is a GP, and asked her if I should take my daughter to the docs to have the verruca frozen off with liquid nitrogen. "Yes, you can," she texted back, "or you can try something else that seems to be having lots of success." I bit my fingers whilst I waited to hear what that something else was. Perhaps something illegal. That would be exciting.

"Electrical tape" she texted.  She said it would take a few months, but the Bazooka had done nothing in a few months so thought it was worth a try. So I bought some, from the market stall. It was 35p (yellow, if it matters) and I swear in less than a fortnight, all the verrucas had gone.

This is, of course, ground breaking news because it could bring down the fortunes of various over the counter remedies. I don't know, perhaps it was fluke, but try it. I'm guessing electrical tape works the best as it's very sticky and watertight, but all you do is cut a little piece, stick it over the verruca and replace every day/few days.

Let me know how you get on.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

will give it a go!! I have found painting nail varnish on to my son's verrucas worked really well too....

vidzee said...

Hello! You have an interesting website. It is nice to visit here.

Anonymous said...

N has one! :O I'm going to try this!

Annalisa Barbieri said...

Let me know how you get on. I'm gobsmacked by how well it worked!

Daisy said...

Hmm, is electrical tape different to duct tape? Got a feeling it's the same thing. We tried duct tape and it kept falling off. My daughter couldn't keep it on long enough for it to be effective.

Trying nail varnish now. Are you supposed to leave it on, I wonder, and keep re-applying layer upon layer? Or try to peel it off before your re-apply?

Thanks, a very useful blog.

Annalisa Barbieri said...

Hello Daisy.

The short answer is: I don't know. Electrical tape comes on a small role; isn't duct tape thicker and on a big role? Certainly the electrical tape we used was really sticky and we had no problem with it adhering.